Skull Processing Operations Manager
for Skulls Unlimited International, Inc., Oklahoma City, OK USA
Love science (especially osteology, the study of bones)? Have you been successful as a leader in manufacturing operations and/or industrial process engineering, while leading a team of talented, tenured direct reports? Are you ready for a powerful career move that allows you a rewarding opportunity to lead and elevate the proficiencies of a tenured group of professionals who are the world’s top team that clean, mount and articulate skulls, skeletons, hunting trophies and osteological specimens?
As the Processing Operations Manager of Skulls Unlimited, you’ll be a vital part of the world’s most renowned supplier of osteological specimens, while being a valued member of a team of dedicated colleagues, all of whom are known as the ‘Skeleton Crew.’ You’ll be recognized, and rewarded, for your performance. Make ‘no bones about it’ (pun definitely intended!), with dedicated owners, and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make your career at Skulls Unlimited, the most rewarding professional position of your life.
Join The ‘Skeleton Crew’ because…
- For over 35 years, Skulls Unlimited and it’s specialty business unit, Skull Cleaning, has forged its way as the global leader of osteological materials, both real, natural bone, and replica. As an exceptionally successful, family-owned endeavor, we are proud of the purpose our products serve to provide education and generate an interest in science for students.
- Nearly 70% of Skulls Unlimited’s consumers are businesses in the education community including school districts, educational supply houses, veterinarian hospitals, universities and museums. Our work is necessary and important in the education and continuing research of a wide range of sciences related to biology. Additionally, a very large customer base of our Skull Cleaning business unit are hunters and taxidermists.
- Our Skull Processing and Cleaning Team manage 100% of the cleaning and preparation of all species, including human, mammals, birds, canines, reptiles, and rare species. We use dermestid beetles in this cleaning process. Museums and universities have been using this method for nearly 100 years. Skulls Unlimited has made this museum quality preparation available to all public and private interests. Finally, each specimen is degreased and whitened using a chemical process. This process is an essential step that will ensure an attractive and sanitary trophy or display piece.
- You will be reporting directly to . You will have the benefits of speed of decision making, immediate and daily access to the owners, and the ability to see the objective, metrics-based impact of your contributions, every day.
- A NOTE of CAUTION: This manager must be very comfortable with seeing, smelling, and respecting deceased specimens of all species. A background as an avid hunter, taxidermist, meat processing manager, or experience , but not required.
As the Processing Department Manager, and executive member of the Skeleton Crew,
your main accountabilities are to:
- Manage and develop the human, technological, logistical, and materials resources of the osteological processing and finishing department of Skulls Unlimited.
- Perform cost analyses, establishing workplace safety procedures, supply chain management, and daily processes and procedures.
- Develop metrics to measure and optimize our skull cleaning efficiency, productivity, quality, and profit.
- Create clear, measurable performance standards for a highly tenured, talented team of osteological specimen processors, finishers, and articulators.
Check this out! We asked our highly tenured Processing Team for their input as to the qualities, skills and experience of the manager they hope to have. The most common responses were:
- A bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, process engineering, manufacturing operations management. An MBA on top of that would be preferred too.
- 5 or more years’ successful experience in managing manufacturing processes and operations.
- Experience leading projects as a manufacturing project manager.
- 5 or more years managing, inspiring, coaching and mentoring direct reports.
- A role model of excellence in communication, while still being easy going. This is because this team has been together for a long time, but really want, and are ready for strong, clear, consistent leadership. Domineering, power hungry managers need not apply!
- Highly analytical. Can gather data and interpret it to improve processes.
- At least 18 years of age, legally eligible to work in the US, can pass comprehensive background checks, and you are willing to submit to a drug screen if asked ( In all transparency, the Skull Processing Team did not mention this one, but HR recommended we add it!)
Our interviewing process empowers you to interview us, and this position, right back. Come prepared to ask questions, view the operation, and investigate our reputation as an employer. We want this professional partnership to be one of mutual commitment, mutual benefit, and mutual respect. And to last a long time!
Initial interviews will be via phone and video conferencing. Subsequent interviews will be onsite, in person interviews.
Final candidates, prior to an offer of employment partnership, will be invited to bring their family members, significant others, partners and/or trusted friends and advisors to participate in a tour of the operations and to meet and ask questions of the leadership team. As ‘Family’ is one of our Core Values, we want our employees and their families to know that they are ALL part of the Skeleton Crew.
As a Skeleton Crew Team Member, you will enjoy these, amongst other, benefits:
- A salary reflective of your experience, skills and achievements. We are open to all discussions regarding compensation.
- Benefits including 50% Medical Insurance costs covered, 401K contributions, earned paid vacation and sick leave in addition to other benefits.
- A working environment rich in dedicated coworkers and a team of organizational leaders focused on ensuring you have the tools necessary to succeed.
- A workplace culture guided by our Core Values of Education, Service and Family.
- Skulls Unlimited International Inc. is an EEOC Compliant Employer.
- We are certainly following all CDC Guidelines to keep you, our staff and customers, safe at this time.
Questions? Contact Kristine Sexter, Senior Recruiter, without hesitation!
We are not being “humerus!”