The human foot is a very complex and highly developed structure. The bones of the foot provide mechanical support for the soft tissues, helping the foot withstand the weight of the body. There are five toes present on each human foot.
The toes are, from medial to lateral:
- The first toe, also known as the hallux ("big toe", "great toe", "thumb toe"), the innermost toe.
- The second toe, "long toe" or "pointer toe", "index toe",
- The third toe, or "middle toe", "long toe"
- The fourth toe, or "ring toe",
- The fifth toe, "baby toe", "little toe", "pinky toe", "small toe", or the outermost toe
- Bag of medial bones from the pinkie/ 5th toe
- Approx. 100