100% Legal & Ethically Obtained Sea Lion Skull - Skulls Unlimited recently purchased an antique research collection of California sea lions that dates back to the 1950’s and 60’s and was the work of the late Dr. Arthur Kelly.
The US Marine Mammal Protection Act ( www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/laws/mmpa ) generally prohibits the sale of marine mammals, however it does allows for the sale of specimens collected prior to 1972 ( www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/permits ) . Each specimen is provided with a bill of sale and a letter of authorization from NOAA
The California sea lion is found along the Pacific coast of North America from British Columbia to Mexico. Sea lions are carnivores that feed on various fish, squid, crustaceans, and octopus. Males of this species are more than double the size of females, and this sexual dimorphism is evident in their skulls. Males possess a large sagittal crest that is mostly absent in females.
- One-of-a-kind real female California sea lion skull
- The following features make this specimen unique:
- One upper left canine tooth is missing
- The occipital bone and frontal bones are damaged
- Exhibits handwritten verbiage
- Exhibits atypical coloration
- Sold as-is without further cleaning
- Skull Length 22.1 cm (8.7 in.)
- Skull Width 11.3 cm (4.4 in.)
- Skull Height 9.2 cm (3.6 in.)