100% Legal & Ethically Obtained Sea Lion Skull - Skulls Unlimited recently purchased an antique research collection of California sea lions that dates back to the 1950’s and 60’s and was the work of the late Dr. Arthur Kelly.
The US Marine Mammal Protection Act ( www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/laws/mmpa ) generally prohibits the sale of marine mammals, however it does allows for the sale of specimens collected prior to 1972 ( www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/permits ) . Each specimen is provided with a bill of sale and a letter of authorization from NOAA
The California sea lion is found along the Pacific coast of North America from British Columbia to Mexico. Sea lions are carnivores feeding on various fish, squid, crustaceans, and octopus. Male sea lions are more than double the size of females, and this sexual dimorphism is evident in their skulls. Males possess a large sagittal crest, mostly absent in females. This species has long been used and trained to perform in circuses and zoos.
- This is one of the few Male specimens we have left in the collection
- Includes baculum
- This specimen is missing its upper right canine tooth
- Bone has been cut in some spots; please see photos
- Skull Length 22.7cm (8.9in)
- Skull Width 11.6cm (4.6in)
- Skull Height 9.4cm (3.7in)