These large rodents, otherwise known as coypu, have been almost solely responsible for significant loss of the Louisiana wetlands in the last fifty years. Native to South America, nutria were brought to the United States in the 1930s to be domesticated as fur animals. Considered one of the most destructive species in the world, these rodents of unusual size weigh 15-22 lbs. on average and consume about 25% of their weight in plants each day.
- The left zygomatic arch was damaged antemortem
- The left zygomatic arch is damaged and repaired
- Skull Length 13.3cm (5.2in)
- Skull Width 8.5cm (3.3in)
- Skull Height 8.4cm (3.3in)