The hammerhead bat, native to the rainforests of central Africa, is the largest of the African bats. The male of this strange-looking species possesses a large inflated snout, providing its name. Hammerhead bats are primarily fruit eaters that specialize in figs and other soft fruits but have also been known to prey on small birds and mammals.
- Female specimen
- Incomplete skeleton
- missing the feet, several phalanges, and carpals
- Damaged ribs and a few teeth have fallen out of the skull
- Skull Length 5.8cm (2.3in)
- Skull Width 3.3cm (1.3in)
- Skull Height 2.4cm (0.9in)